Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for Where the Sidewalk Ends


Title:  Where the Sidewalk Ends                
Author:  Shel Silverstein
Original Publication Date: 1974
Date I First Read: 1981
Basic Category: Poetry
Basic Summary: A collection of poetry, mainly intended for kids. 

What I Remember About the Book:
 The poems!  Some of my favorites were, back when I was around seven years old,
“Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Did Not Take the Garbage Out” and “Sick”.  These were the longest poems in the book, and at some point I set out to memorize them.

My first grade teacher, Mrs. Hall, introduced this book to our class.  She read us the poems first.  My aunt Sue gave me my very own copy of this book the next Christmas. It is still a prized book in my collection.


Quote: “I cannot go to school today / said little Peggy Ann McKay. / I have the measles, the mumps, a gash, rash, and purple bumps.”

What I Took Away From the Book:  Poetry is fun!  And that awful things could happen if you don't take out the garbage!

(And April is National Poetry Month.)

Rating (1-5 stars):  5

No comments: