Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for Dark Reunion

(For the 2013 A to Z Blogging Challenge, I will be featuring one book each day, that begins with that day's letter, that made an impression on me.  This means that for some reason, I didn't just read that book and forget about it.  No, I still think about it after some period of time has passed.) 


Title:  Dark Reunion (Vampire Diaries #4)
Author:  L.J. Smith
Original Publication Date: 1991
Date I First Read: 1992
Basic Category: YA/Teen Fiction / Vampires

Basic Summary:  This gives away the prior books in the series (sorry about that), but Elena is dead.  There is still evil in Falls Church, so her friends battle the evil. This story is told mostly from her friend Bonnie’s point of view.   

What I Remember About the Book: Elena is dead and her friends are sad. There is something evil going on.   What I remember most is . . . 

SPOILERS!!
.
.
.
.
.
.

.

.

.

Stephan coming back and Elena somehow being reborn in a field full of Civil War ghosts.

What I Took Away From the Book:  Dead doesn’t always mean you’re really dead for always. 

I was still in high school when this book came out and I read it.  It was my favorite of the first four.   I am not appreciative that there are suddenly more books in this series in the last couple of years.  I liked the way this book ended.  It should have ended there.  As well, I didn’t like the first episode of the tv series.  I haven’t watched it since.  

Soon after, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles books for the first time.  They are definitely far superior to Ms. Smith's books.  However, this particular book has stuck with me for some reason.  I think it is because of the Civil War ghosts.  And a crush on Stephan.

Rating (1-5 stars):  3.5  - I might have given this book a four back then.  It was just nice fluff to read between studying.  And reading more full-blown horror with scary dolls and ice picks by Ruby Jean Jensen.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love books and I have read Dark Reunion (and the other books in the Vampire Diaries series) and I found it interesting. I have a crush on Damon that I can't seem to shake off :)

Tall Girl in Japan said...

We seem to be having a lot of vampire stories these days ! Specially after Twilight !
I liked the blurb ! Perhaps Ill read it :P

Salvwi Prasad said...

Will find and read this book definitely. Your blog seems to one stop reference for book readers. Nice. :)

Anonymous said...

I guess there are a lot of vampire type books? I don't thinK I have read an entire book in maybe 10 years. But the Civil War part sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love vampire books! I added this to my Good Reads.
Connie
Checkin' in from the A to Z Challenge.
Peanut Butter and Whine