Monday, September 15, 2014

Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes

Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes (Greenwillow Books, 2000.)  

When this book first came out, I was a newly-minted professional Youth Services Librarian.   I tend to also be a worrier. . .  so fell in love with this book immediately!  I kept a copy on my storytime planning shelf at work.  Yes, I did indeed use this book occasionally with preschool storytime sessions.  

Recently, I introduced this book to my son, who started preschool two weeks ago.   He likes the book, but he does not totally relate with it.  He does worry about some things (especially bathroom-related things), but does not worry about all of the things Wemberly worries about.  Wemberly worries about this following:

"What if no one else has spots?  What if no one else wears stripes?  What if no one else brings a doll?   What if the teacher is mean?   What if the room smells bad? What if they make fun of my name?   What if I can't find the bathroom?  What if I hate the snack?   What if I have to cry?"   

Wemberly's parents try to tell her not to worry, but we all know from experience that sometimes that is easier said than done! Read the book to find out what happens to Wemberly as she starts school.  

I also recommend this book to be used in storytime when appropriate to the theme of the day.  


 

No comments: