Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo (AudioVersion)

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo (2013) - Audio CD version as read by Tara Sands.


I have enjoyed playing audio books in my car for years now.   Now, since my four-year-old is often in the car as well, I try to get interesting juvenile audio books for us to listen to together.  


This one was quite a fun listen.  Ms. Sands does a wonderful job with voicing the various voices, which is something I really enjoyed as an adult. My son really enjoyed the parts with Ulysses,  the superhero squirrel . . . particularly the chapter about the donut with sprinkles.  Superheroes need to eat frequently. . .  at the least, Ulysees does!  

Flora has been tasked to spend her summer reading fewer comics, etc, and making more "normal" friends.  Instead, she has a squirrel with super powers, and a new friend named William Spiver (and don't you dare call him anything shorter!)  Flora's mother seems to be going a bit crazy since Ulysses arrived. She has also taken up smoking again (something I do not care for in a book for kids, even kids aged eight to 12.)  I wish there had been more adventures with Flora and Ulysses, actually.  It seemed like there were not enough in the narrative of this story.

Even thought I did like this book overall, I must say that I expected more adventures and less nervous mother chain smoking. 

No comments: