Saturday, July 20, 2013

Just Grace and the Super Sleepover by Cherise Mericle Harper

Just Grace and the Super Sleepover by Charise Mericle Harper
Publication Date:  January 7, 2014

First, let's get the business part out of the way:   I acquired this book as a paperback ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) at ALA 2013. . . so just a couple of weeks ago!   Let's remember I that I am a Librarian who primarily is a stay-at-home-mom at present.   However, I thought this that this book would be an interesting read for my 7-year-old niece who is about to begin second grade. As a note, it might still be a little beyond her reading abilities, yet, but when I gave this book to her to read, she was thrilled with it.  There are many illustrations as Just Grace illustrates many of the stories in her book! Niece spent lots of time going over the illustrations.  Yay!   The book is recommended for readers ages six to nine years old.

This is the latest installment of Just Grace series of books. One of her friends, Grace F, is inviting over several girls for her birthday party, which is to be a sleepover in a tent!  Outside!  Everyone else is excited, but Just Grace is not exactly excited. She is rather scared of the idea of sleeping outside in a tent.  Is it safe?   Meanwhile, Just Grace talks a lot about learning about the Earth in school (third grade), and the songs that her teacher makes up to help them learn.

 I will admit here that this is the first Just Grace that I have read, and I really enjoyed her as the heroine of this story.   The author does an excellent job of capturing the voice of a third grader.  For me, as an adult, it was a quick and easy read, but it also found my third-grade self lurking . . .  I would have loved this book when I was in third grade!

(In third grade, I read books such as The Little House books, Judy Blume's Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge, Carolyn Haywood's Betsy books and other books such as Rebecca C. Jones' Angie and Me.)

No comments: