Monday, July 14, 2008

The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French

It was exciting to get this book. The instant I saw the cover, I wanted to read it. With intriguing cover art, I am like a young kid who can't wait and has to have it. That said, I am adult who loves kids' books (really, almost all books, but that's besides the point). I am also an adult who likes fairy tales and any take-offs of fairy tales - you know, mix them up a little and maybe thrown in something new.

I liked Gracie and cheered her on, but I really wanted to know more about Foyce, as a Werewoman. Foyce is a combination - she was obviously an "evil stepsister" but she was also the Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood. (Although I don't know if I like Gracie compared to Red Riding Hood. . . if you read the Sisters Grimm series, Riding Hood is not that likeable as a character. . .)

The bats and Gubble were the best characters. The bats had the most interesting tasks in this book. They were really keeping every under control and organized. Gubble was likeable and had more personality that many of the other characters. He made me laugh out loud. He is so proud of himself when he figures out that he can rhyme! ("Gubble's Troubles")

Overall, this was a quick and easy read for me. Enjoyable, as well. I would definitely recommend this book to any kids and adults who like fairy tales.

No comments: