Friday, June 27, 2008

So many books, so little time

I plan to write about what I've been reading lately very soon. . . I've been busy moving across the country, and just tonight, I found some of our bathroom stuff. . . so now we have a place to put our shampoo, for instance.

I read the first two "House of Night" vampire series by PC Cast and Kristen Cast. I really enjoyed the first one (Marked), and the second (Betrayed), not so much. I don't even know if I want to read the third, but I know that I will at least skim it. I was not able to get my hands on a copy of Sucks to be Me, and I really want to read it. Meanwhile, I have some other vampire stories to keep me occupied. I will report on them fairly soon. I have been reading a romance, Sex and the Psychic Witch by Annette Blair, and though I liked one of her books that I read two years ago, I have already skipped to the end to see how it turned out. The ending wasn't all that surprising, which I did not really mind. I was into it at the beginning, but I've pretty much skimmed parts of it now.

Before this book and after Betrayed, I re-read Belles on Their Toes by Frank Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey, and read for the first time Trying Again: A Guide to Pregnancy After Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss by Ann Douglas and John R. Sussman, M.D. The first, Belles, I have read many times since my first read in 1988. The "old-fashioned" humorous family tales allow me to feel better when my life feels like it is in upheaval. The second is in doing background reading with the idea that maybe a few more months from now maybe trying to have another baby. I have also just started reading a novel by Gina B. Nahai: Caspian Rain. It takes place in pre-Revolutionary Iran. I have read the first few pages thus far, and it is much better written than the romance I've been reading, even though completely a different topic.

No comments: